Monday, December 26, 2011

ICE CREAM FREEZER IN WINTER

White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer
Sometimes it's the little things.  Ha.  Sure it's almost Winter (and lately it's felt like it down this way), and it's wet and rainy, but when we were carrying stuff out there to the farm recently, I just grabbed this from the pantry and put it in the back of the car.  Of course 2nd Man had to chime in, "why do we we need this out there now?  It's Winter?"


"Why NOT?" I replied.  "It all has to go out there anyway, it's as good a day as any I suppose."  He mumbled something and we kept loading the car, ha. 

We love homemade ice cream.  I have a vanilla recipe I'll share later that was my Grandmother's.  It's the kind you have to cook on the stove top and boy, was it ever good.  This ice cream freezer was my Grandfathers and as you can tell, it barely looks used, even though they used it quite often.  He was fastidious in cleaning and keeping all his stuff looking like new.  I will only hope that I can do the same.

I'll admit though that our ice cream making adventures so far, when we do it, leads more toward taking the easy way out, i.e. this:

Kitchenaid Ice Cream Mixer
...but I'm feeling that it will be pretty fun to sit on the porch and crank out some ice cream the old fashioned way.  No electricity, nothing to plug in, just good old manual labor like my Grandfather use to do.

Do you have a manual ice cream freezer?

4 comments:

  1. That's the best Ice cream maker ever..the easy way is good, but not the same..:o) Think I'll pry mine out of the shed and see if it still works :o).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny - That's what I've been told (about this ice cream maker brand) and you are so right, easy is good (homemade anything is always better) but it's just not the same as cranking it in something like this. Hey, the way our weather goes down here, it's liable to be 80 degrees in a week, might be TIME for some ice cream, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! I have both...and TWO huge electric ice cream makers! I used the hand crank ONCE..great ice cream..way too much work! The KitchenAid gets used at least twice a week in the summer and once a month in winter. The two HUGE electric makers get used for four summer birthdays, Fourth of July, first day of the County Fair, the first Saturday in June (the Local Pioneer Days)and the last Saturday before school starts in August...gosh we sure love our ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynda - Don't tell me that, I'm afraid I might lapse into the ease of electric, ha. I'm glad to know though that we're not the only ones eating ice cream pretty much year round, ha.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!